Friday, October 7, 2011

fifth misfit (+fbff)

So here is today's MISFIT! Did you miss them? I know I did!


misfit five


What do you call this... a cropped trench? The flaps are light and often don't stay in place. Maybe it needs to be pressed. It came with a tie the same fabric as the jacket and I wasn't fond of the bow or tie, so I decided to belt it. I can try tying it again if you'd like to see it. Overall, the jacket is tight in the arms, and the size up was big in the body. You decide. To keep it young and fresh, I added some red and fall colored bangles.

So what's the verdict? I've honestly never worn this before! And I've had it since February...if you want to see more pictures, see my flikr.

You tell me: Keep, toss or restyle? 


misfit five
misfit five

outfit details: embarrassingly enough, this entire outfit is f21, didn't realize until now!
sparkles of hope bracelet for blogging for breast cancer awareness
(decided I'm not taking it off the whole month of October!)
in keeping with yesterday's theme, here's the make up I used to create a natural look:
revlon lipstick: smoked peach in matte, mascara, foundation, blush

When the baby was sleeping yesterday I managed to shoot three misfit outfits for you! Make sure to check back and give your opinions on my closet monsters. I had the shoot inside because I think we were in the middle of a hurricane yesterday. Yuck.

Fashion Beauty Friend Friday. My answers after the jump.

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!
xo,
Courtney

In case you missed it...
10x2 "closet monster" challenge:
first and second misfit, third misfit, fourth misfit
how do you feel when you're not wearing make up?
see my sans make up post: barefaced and beautiful


This is my first time participating and I may not do it every week. I am going to pick and choose which sets of questions I'll participate in as they pertain to the blog. I did find this one interesting though! It was inspired by Missoni for Target and all of the hype that followed it's debut.

1. Do you ever see a fad hit the stores and immediately dislike it? Has that fad ever began to grow on you?

I originally hated leggings, jeggings and skinny jeans when they first came out. I thought they were unflattering. Mainly because most of the girls were wearing them in unflattering ways. For example, please don't wear leggings as pants if you buy them made from cheap material. Unless you're okay with them being sheer. And they're not really supposed to be!

Skinny jeans have grown on me. Maybe that was when I decided I was going to start tucking my jeans into my boots everyday and it was easier to buy them skinny than to roll them around my leg and have them bunch up my leg. Yes, I was a fashionable teen. We're glad I've come this far :)

2. Has the popularity of a certain piece of clothing or line ever convinced you to try on something (or purchase something) you dislike?

Okay, my silly answer: THONGS! I buy them but I hate them. I hate them so much. I bought them because they were popular. I have about a handful that I wear with my skirts that are pretty well bodycon...because I can't get away from lines. And lines aren't attractive. But I really, really hate butt floss! I'm sorry! To this day I still try to make myself wear them when I don't need to... and always find myself running to change halfway through the day. I know this isn't the answer you wanted to hear... ha!

To be more serious: I think when I was younger I bought brand name items just because they had a name on it. I thought it would make me popular. Which is really sad. Now... I think we still feel that way. But clothes shouldn't own us in that way. We have to realize we wear our clothes (they shouldn't wear us). And we are who we are (our clothes shouldn't define us). Our clothes don't change that.

I've definitely purchased things that I've hated in the past. For me I think it's due to having such specific wants. When we can't find what we are looking for, we shouldn't settle, we should keep looking. Most of the things I've bought that I don't wear were my attempts at trying to recreate a look with something similar...and failing.

3. Have you ever changed your mind about a trend after seeing it around for a while?

I think once we see a certain trend styled differently we begin to see how it can work for us. I am bound to see someone wearing the trend in a way I'd want to wear it (unless it's horribly uncomfortable; see rant about thongs). Which is exactly why I love fashion blogs. Hundreds and hundreds of girls to gain inspiration from and we're all out there doing the same thing! We have such a huge bank of inspiration and with clothes, the horizon is endless. I know I've disliked trends and they have grown on me, but I can't think of specific examples... let me put it this way: since I've started blogging, I have been far more open to accepting/experimenting with trends before I've made up my mind on whether or not I like it.

4. Do you feel a certain pressure to have specific items in your closet because 'everyone' else does?

Of course. I feel like that pressure happens often in all sorts of shapes and forms. My heart goes out to those people who love fashion yet simply don't have x amount of dollars to spend on clothes every month to buy the latest trends. I know lately I don't! But that doesn't make us less fashionable. I think we have to remind ourselves that looking good doesn't depend on these items that "everyone" seems to have in their closet.

5. Be honest, what do you think of the Missoni line? Did you grab any items? Is it worth the eBay prices?

I think the Missoni line is great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to break the bank on it. I didn't grab any items! We don't have a Target in Newfoundland and eBay prices were hiiiigh. I don't think anyone living here even knows what Missoni is... Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment; I really appreciate it. I do my best to follow up on each one.
xo Courtney

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...